Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Through Stained Glass: A Mid-Week Reflection-Sharing

Light through windows in the youth room.
Sharing

Tomorrow is the last day of 2014.

For many of us, we can reflect back on the past 365 days and smile in delight for it was a good year.

For others, 2015 can’t come quick enough as we are anxious to wave goodbye to 2014.

This year provided lots of opportunities to share life together. From a book study on Sundays to Kirk Nights on Wednesdays, a family mission trip to Wisconsin and weekly gatherings to help with Food for Thought, 2014 was a year of service and sharing for our church.

2014 was the year I began writing these weekly reflections. Some of them I hope you have found inspiring. It is also my hope you laughed at some of the stories I shared about Silas and Chloe. Regardless if you read them or not, I have found this practice life giving as I have the opportunity of sharing a part of me with you through these words on a blog.

So today, this will be the last post for the 2014 year. But it won’t be from me. Rather, I want to share with you a reflection the Rev. Bruce Allison wrote about New Years that can be found in his book Links. Though I never met Bruce, his words in this book and the stories you all have shared with me, makes it feel as if I have. And that is a good thing.

Do you know where this beauty can be found in
the church?
In fact, the title for the blog, “Through Stained Glass,” came from a story I heard about Bruce. It is my understanding he often told people one of the reasons he loved our church was because at any point during the day, one could find light shining beautifully through our many stained glass windows.

That story made me smile. And it is the reason why I write.

With all those words written, I wish you a Happy New Year!

“NEW YEAR’S day at home, a holiday except for the ‘normal’ emergencies:  a wedding date, jello pans, and an upcoming funeral. I smoked my pipe and watched the children. It seems impossible that they should change. The Christmas tree is now in the woodpile next to part of the trunk of last year’s awaiting the kindling saw. Is there anything that looks nicer than a living room without a Christmas tree?
         While I was in the mood, Kathy had me take the crib out of Josh’s room. It has stood up for almost ten years, since purchased in Toledo. ‘Macy’s Baby Kempton,’ a name that makes me smile; and it has tooth marks to bring tears. I think I’d chew on it, too, waiting to be lifted out of a morning.
Indeed, sanctuary.
         How many years do you suppose it will rest in the basement, awaiting a grandchild’s visit? No matter how many New Year’s days pass, they will seem as timeless as this one. Each child will look changeless every day to my eyes. But, I know I’ll never find the screws to put it back together properly; and our grandchildren will never believe they were daddy’s or mommy’s teeth which made those marks. I’ll doubt it myself. Nothing could have happened that long ago.
         Today, while they are all here playing on the floor, perhaps my heart can comprehend the pure beauty of what they’ll become, and my spirit know the peace of change. It’s time to light a fire.”

And of course, the church mouse.

         we are through what is called ‘the holidays,’ and am I glad! they may be holidays for you all, but for mice they are terrible. if you think it was cold and icy sunday, you should know what it’s like with no one in the building at all. they say ‘poor as a church mouse.’ well, i’ll tell you, poor has nothing to do with it. ‘lonely’ is the word. new year’s eve i would have been glad even for the company of a-excuse me i spell it c-a-t. i refuse to say that word out loud. something might think that i was calling it.
         anyway, I couldn’t even watch guy lombardo’s band. pork chop has taken the set home again, said nobody was watching it here. well, i was.
         you’ll be happy to know that the sermon sunday came through at 14.35.4, including the scripture. that’s the official word from the resident timer who got a stop watch for christmas. bonzo got a watch, too, doesn’t even have a second hand on it. a sure sign of the age i figure.

         well, you all keep your feet under you and stay warm. think of me sometimes.
cm


No comments:

Post a Comment