Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Through Stained Glass: Advent Word of the Day--Created

Day 2:  Created

In the beginning, God created [Genesis 1.1]

I thought about posting a picture of the meal I created last night with chicken, peppers and onions, olive oil and a little seasoning, which went over rice.

I thought about posting a photo of a space I created in my study that tells the story of my faith journey:  my infant baptism certificate, my Pope Francis figurine, a couple of icons, the Tanakh, among other significant items. Together these objects make a type of altar, a reminder of the vocation to which I am called.


“And I knew that the Spirit that had gone forth
to shape the world and make it live was still
alive in it. I just had no doubt. I could see that
I lived in the created world, and it was still being
created. I would be part of it forever. There was
no escape. The Spirit that made it was in it,
shaping it and reshaping it, sometimes lying at
rest, sometimes standing up and shaking itself,
like a muddy horse, and letting the pieces fly.”
Wendell Berry, Jayber Crow
Then I remembered the picture I took last night just before I went in to the local rec center to run 3 miles, an added discipline to a routine/schedule that I created with some of my friends.

Before I went in to accomplish running regimen I created that would surely aid in burning left over Thanksgiving calories, I had to stop and take in the view. With the cold December air on my face, I stood and marveled at what appeared to be 2 worlds colliding together, creating a beautiful display of color.

A world of darkness.
A world of light.

Heaven.
and
Earth.

I stood admiring the beauty right in front of me. On this green and blue planet full of so much pain and brokenness, the evening sunset reminded me of God’s good intentions when God created.

Creation has a way of doing that, doesn’t it? It discloses a power that baffles our minds and beggars our speech. From the sight of a well-turned double play, which was created by a lead off base hit by the sweet swinging Anthony Rizzo, to the Rocky Mountains rising up out of the horizon created by years of those tectonic plates underground crashing into each other, have a tendency to leave us in wonderment.

We stutter and stammer about God’s creativeness, God’s goodness, and God’s ability to create selflessly—creating

you

and

me

not only good but also

in God’s very own image.

John Calvin once said, “There is not one blade of grass, there is no color in this world that is not intended to make us rejoice.”

Advent is a time to rejoice in the peace found in the Creator taking on flesh and becoming one with creation. Advent is a season where we are reminded of the One in which we are created in and from

Emmanuel.

In the beginning and

right now

and in the days to come,

God created and calls it all

good very good.


What will you create this Advent season to tell of God’s goodness and love?

Below is one of my favorite poems about creation. It was written by Baptist preacher James Weldon Johnson and can be found in his book God's Trombone.


No comments:

Post a Comment