Monday, December 8, 2014

Through Stained Glass: Advent Word of the Day-Donkey

Day 8:  Donkey

The donkey said to Balaam, ‘Am I not your donkey?”

What in the world do I do with the word

donkey?

I don’t own one. Though I think it would be fun to.

I could do the obvious and comment on how if God can speak through a donkey so why don’t you think God couldn’t speak through you?

But that is too, um, easy.

What does a talking donkey and Advent have in common?

Surprise.

I’m sure Balaam was surprised when his donkey began to speak to him.

I’m sure many were surprised at the news of an infant being born in an unclean place. Let alone the child of God.

The Kansas City Royals surprised the baseball world by making it to the World Series.

Y’all surprised me with a great party back in June to celebrate my one-year here.

I’m almost certain your spouse or grandparent would be surprised if you sent that note you’ve been meaning to send them.

And that young mom behind you at your favorite coffee shop, I’m sure you would surprise her if you paid for her coffee too.

I bet the three young girls and their father who were doing all they could to make ends meet were quite surprised when Saint Nicholas, the real one from the 4th century—not the fat one dressed in red—dropped a bag of gold coins down their chimney and landed in their stocking that was drying over the fire place [hence the tradition of hanging our stockings with care] because he wanted to help.

I imagine your significant other would be surprised if you got up a little early and made them their coffee or teaor dare I even suggest, breakfast.

Surprises.

Life is so full of unpredictable beauty and strange surprises. Sometimes that beauty is too much for me to handle. Do you know that feeling? When something is just too beautiful? When someone says something or writes something or plays something that moves you to the point of tears, maybe even changes you.

Friends, during Advent, take time to be surprised. Better yet, take time to surprise someone by an unexpected gesture of grace and love.

After all, once God spoke to him through the donkey, Balaam’s eyes were opened and he saw an angel of God standing before him



1 comment: