Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Through Stained Glass: Advent Word of the Day-Entertain

Day 10:  Entertain

Call Samson, and let him entertain us. [Judges 16.25]

My day began at 5am when I woke up wide-awake.

Silas was less than entertained when the lights went on and the coffee maker started before the sun made its appearance.

But today, as it soon approaches its 23rd hour, was a good day.

From my sexton and me singing “Blue Christmas” to the retelling of a Flip Wilson stewardship joke, there was a lot entertaining that happened today.

Also, today was my church’s 2nd annual congregation appreciation luncheon. The staff of FPC Lincoln threw together some soup, salads, and desserts as a way of saying ‘thanks’ to the congregation for all their hard work and efforts they put in during this last year.

A good 40 people came out and 5 left with door prizes. The most entertaining prize was a turkey hat. Yup, a turkey hat.

About ½ way through our gather and in between parishioners, in walked a stranger.

Her name was Michelle. She was new to town and some how found her way to our church. She had what appeared to be a hospital bracelet but I couldn’t tell for sure. Michelle was sweet and very outgoing. She had a firm handshake and offered a smile when she introduced herself.

After a bowl of potato soup and a plate of fruit salad, she helped herself to a dessert and asked about our church services. I gave her my card, a typical pastor thing to do, and said “We’d love to see you back!” This too being another typical pastor thing to do.

She smiled and said she’d like to come back.

Then she left.

There is nothing profound with this encounter. The fine folks of First Church are great at welcoming folks to the table. So their hospitality wasn’t anything new.

What did get me thinking was the courage this young woman had to muster up to come in and eat with a group full of strangers. How she knew we were having lunch at our church, I have no idea. Yet, not knowing anybody did not stop her from coming in and sitting at table with us. Though she was quiet, Michelle felt comfortable enough to tell a part of her story:  knew in town but didn’t really know anyone.

St. Benedict once said, “Let all guests who arrive be received like Christ, for He is going to say, "I came as a guest, and you received Me" (Matt. 25:35). And to all let due honor be shown, especially to the domestics of the faith and to pilgrims In the salutation of all guests, whether arriving or departing, let all humility be shown. Let the head be bowed or the whole body prostrated on the ground in adoration of Christ, who indeed is received in their persons.”

I hope Michelle was entertained. I hope she felt known. I hope she experienced a glimpse of Love. I hope she felt she could be herself.

Today, as Samson entertained, and as I told corny food jokes [see what I did there], I learned what was meant when the writer of Hebrews said, “2Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it.”


This Advent, may you make space to entertain not only the guests you know but the strangers you meet along way as well.

[Below is the Flip Wilson joke I references above. The quality is poor but the content is hilarious and clean. Hope you find it as entertaining as I did.]

No comments:

Post a Comment