Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Through Stained Glass: Advent Word of the Day-Softly

Day 9:  Softly

Jael took a tent peg, a hammer, and went softly to him [Judges 4.21]

Despite a vocation that requires one to be ‘outgoing,’ for those who know me, you know that I am everything but an extrovert.

I am in fact, an introvert.

Growing up I was often called “the shy kid.”

In college I kept to myself.

And as an adult, I value my solitude and I really enjoy the silence.

I can be an extrovert when called upon but I am completely comfortable with flying under the radar and keeping to myself.

While my parents always encouraged the expression of my feelings, I remember in elementary school being told by older kids that needed to harden up. That if I walk into high school too softly that I wouldn’t make it out alive.

That scared me. But what scared me more was the idea of not being able to express how I was feeling. While I did my fair share of bullying growing up [something I am not proud of at all—but it is an honest admission] I remember being overwhelmed at times with compassion for some of colleagues. Even today, if I have been around too many people and if I have not had the time to settle into the silence, I become quite observant of those who appear to be hurting, lonely, and sad.

In a way, Advent is a time for all of introverts, extroverts, from the highly sensitive people to the courageously confident members of the community, to look at all the ways we are in need of saving.

I don’t mean ‘saving’ in some trite way.

But the embracing of the call from God to be radical in our hospitality and serious in the ways we stand in solidarity with those in our communities who have no voice or advocates, who sit alone in the nursing home or hospital.

Advent is a time amidst the clanging and clanking of the pre-Christmas celebration to listen for those soft, still voices crying out from the sidelines. Like snow falling softly onto the highly lit city streets, Advent’s waiting invites us to slow down, to pay attention to what is happening around us, and to do what we can to alleviate the stress, the chaos, the sadness of those in our lives.

Jael’s story is not a soft one, whatever that means. And as a highly sensitive person, the violence involved makes me a bit uncomfortable. While I never condone violence or abuse of any kind, there is something to be said about the poets of Judges 5 calling her the “most blessed of women.” Their praise is presumably based on results rather than motivations. The phrase “most blessed women” is used elsewhere in the Bible only of Mary, Jesus’ mother. Granted, this story is not a ‘nice’ story. It isn’t one that echoes the soft voice of God. But the times then were not nice, and Sisera, was not a nice man.

If her story is one of self-defense, there is nothing to denounce, nor is there a hero to celebrate.[1] However, if her motivation went beyond saving herself, this is a story many can celebrate. In a world still filled with violence and chaos, we need to make the necessary space to listen for that still, soft voice of God whispering throughout the world that is still laying claim on all of us.

If Advent’s message is the voice of Love speaking softly and tenderly to us in the child of Jesus, how are we, Christ’s body, using this voice to uplift our communities?



[1] Alice Ogden Bellis.  Helpmates, Harlots, and Heroes:  Women’s Stories in the Hebrew Bible.”  [Louisville:  Westminster John Knox Press, 2007,] 107.





[1] Alice Ogden Bellis.  Helpmates, Harlots, and Heroes:  Women’s Stories in the Hebrew Bible.”  [Louisville:  Westminster John Knox Press, 2007,] 107.

No comments:

Post a Comment