Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Through Stained Glass: Advent Word of the Day-Black and Beautiful

Day 16:  black and beautiful

I am black and beautiful[Song of Songs 1.5]

Today’s words, well, they are difficult.

They are black and beautiful.

I am white.

To deny the existence of racism in the world is a troubling lie.

Race matters. No matter how hard we try to say it doesn’t, it does.

I do not know how to talk about it all, but I know I need to talk about it.

It being, racism.

A little over a year ago I moved to Lincoln. I was welcomed and continue to be loved by the greatest of people. When I came to my study the first day at the church, there was a sign that said “Welcome Adam! We Are Glad You Are Here!”

Two days ago I read a story by a black preacher and his first week in a small Midwestern town.

On his church door, there was a sign.

It was a welcome sign of sorts.

Instead of a loving reception to the community like the one I received, he arrived to his church doors with the words

“N***** get Out!”

In my studies and in my reading of scripture, I’ve come to realize that color-blindness is not an option. One of the first songs I learned in Sunday school was how God loved all children, no matter their color.

If God created with our own particularities and unique characteristics, then we need to celebrate them and not avoid engaging them because of the vulnerability it takes to do so.

Advent is about the hope for God coming into reality—a reality where all are welcomed and invited into the KIN-dom of God. 

So friends, may we recognize and value our differences; may we teach and learn about that which may make us uncomfortable; and may we take steps learning about each other’s stories by sharing in worship, sharing in meals, and sharing in life together.

May you find comfort in this poem and in the wisdom from the late, great Maya Angelou.



No comments:

Post a Comment