Thursday, December 18, 2014

Through Stained Glass: Advent Word of the Day-Walk Humbly

Day 18:  walk humbly
"With beauty before me, may I walk 

With beauty behind me, may I walk 
With beauty above me, may I walk
With beauty below me, may I walk
With beauty all around me, may I walk
Wandering on the trail of beauty, may I walk"
-  Navajo: Walking Meditation

Do justice, love kindness, walk humbly[Micah 6.8]

Stop what you are doing.

Turn off the radio.

Minimize that Word document.

Put your cell phone in the desk drawer.

Grab your hat and scarf.

Put on your gloves and your coat.

Make sure you have comfortable walking shoes, or boots, on.

Go outside
                           And
                                                      Walk.

Don’t scurry like the squirrels.

But saunter slowly over the snow.

Take notice of the trees, bare and exposed to the winter.

Feel your cheeks grow colder, becoming more red.

Be careful, it is slick.

A reminder that Advent is a time to prepare, to walk gingerly, listening for the sights and sounds that the return of light is near.

Do the world justice by silencing the noise in your life.

Love kindness by your attentiveness to the loved ones in your life, and to the strangers you meet on your walk.

Walk humbly knowing that
 you,
                                             Yes
                                                      You
Are
A
 Gift
from
God.

Where you walk, God has gone before you.
Where you go, God has gone after you.
Where you are, God is with you.

God’s promise was one made to a people, not to a building.

Walk, knowing I walk with you.

I’ll walk knowing you walk with me.

Together, we’ll walk humbly as we make a home in the world for the hope we find in the one promised.


 If walking is not an option, I invite you to spend 10 minutes with this video. Listen to the birds. Imagine the warm rays of the sun beaming down on you, warming your soul.

Rest. 

Prepare yourself for the Hope that is to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment