Friday, December 5, 2014

Through Stained Glass: Advent Word of the Day-Laughter

Day 5:  laughter

Sarah said, “God has brought laughter for me.” [Genesis 21.6]

Humor is infectious. The sound of roaring laughter is far more contagious than any cough, sniffle, or sneeze. When laughter is shared, it binds people together and increases happiness and intimacy. 

But what about those days when we can’t seem to find anything to laugh about?

When we see more pain than anything else.

When we see more tears from hurting so much than from laughing too hard.

When the news pundits proclaim more bad news than the angles proclamation on Christmas day.

What about those days?

I wish I had an answer. But today, I don’t. I wish I had a joke that could help ease the pain of those who hurt but I don’t.

I wish I had a knock-knock joke that could wipe away your loneliness, but I don’t.

I wish I had a riddle that could distract your worried mind for a hot second, but I don’t.

Instead I want to share with you a picture from a lunch I had yesterday with some of the most wonderful people I know.

This is the Women’s Association of our church. 4 of them are over the age of 90.
I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.
~Maya Angelou
I’ve come to appreciate my time with these women. Not only because they laugh at my corny jokes, but because they’ve all lived interesting lives and can tell a good story. I love to listen to how they found their way to our church and then why they stayed. I love to listen to the progress they’ve witnessed. And I love to hear how they believe and trust that God is about to do something new.

I’ve come to appreciate their laughter which is full of life and wisdom.

Advent is a time to dream about the fulfillment of God’s promise. It is a time to dream daringly. Advent is a time when we listen again to the promises of God—and we may want to laugh the same way Sarah laughed at God’s promise of a child. Even when the world grows dark with despair, here is comfort to be found in the dismissive laughter of Sarah and the belly laughter of a baby—for both remind us that in our doubts and in our fits of happiness, God makes good on God’s promises.

Laughter is a powerful antidote to stress, pain, and conflict. Nothing works faster or more dependably to bring your mind and body back into balance than a good laugh. Humor lightens your burdens, inspires hopes, connects you to others, and keeps you grounded, focused, and alert.

I think Presbyterian minister Frederick Buechner was onto something when he said:

“Laugh till you weep. Weep till there’s nothing left but to laugh at your weeping. In the end it’s all one.”



If you don't want to read but need a good laugh, here is a video of Chloe from when she was but a pup:

No comments:

Post a Comment