Monday, December 23, 2019

Through Stained Glass: Advent Word a Day-Word


13Then shall the young women rejoice in the dance,
and the young men and the old shall be merry.
I will turn their mourning into joy,
I will comfort them, and give them gladness for sorrow. ~Jeremiah 31.13

Word.

As in “Hear the word of the Holy One…,” from the prophet Jeremiah.

Word.

Those words are beautiful. They are. I need Jeremiah’s word to point me to the promises of the Holy One.

But today, I need this word from Jesus in Matthew:

28 “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

I think that a few of my clergy friends need this word, too.

Like those pastoring small churches who aren’t only preparing a word to preach but they are also scrubbing toilets, vacuuming carpets, and printing bulletins for tomorrow night. Or the pastor who was determined not to get sick again this holiday season, but the extra services and additional visits caught up to her. Or the pastors who are human.

Yup, human. Who have good days and bad days. Or days like today when we need a word of encouragement.

This statue of Jesus is across the street from the Roman Catholic church in town. Even though this Jesus is weathered and worn, his word remains: come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.”

I need this word today.

Tomorrow I’m looking to the words about a Savior born unto us.

The Word who was, is, and will always be, bringing us to that place of deep peace.

The Word who knows me and still offers the words, “Come to me…”

No comments:

Post a Comment