Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Through Stained Glass: Thursday Thoughts on a Friday Afternoon

                  Surprise!

                 That was a theme from Sunday’s sermon. The text was the account of Jesus' interaction with the Canaanite woman in Matthew. The story is also in Mark, and I encourage you to read both [Matthew 15.21-28 & Mark 7.24-30] to see what is similar and what is different. I’ll be curious if anything surprises you!
                  The primary takeaway from Sunday is that our limited beliefs and traditions can sometimes hinder our growth. My attempt to connect this story to an invitation to serve on Session as a Ruling Elder is inspired by the Canaanite woman’s faith and courage. Her voice challenges Jesus’s automatic responses and encourages a broader understanding of God’s mercy. In the same way, the church can become too comfortable with routines and the ease of ministry, and we may overlook how we exclude or isolate others in our community. Like the Canaanite woman, your voice and presence can help us advocate for the safety of those we serve.
                 You'll be surprised by how rewarding it can be to serve on the Session. As the governing body of our congregation, we are in ministry together, not in silos but as members of Christ’s body, discerning together where the Spirit is leading us. It's also a chance to say ‘yes’ to God and to contribute your talents to shaping our community's ministry. Caring for the congregation is truly a gift, and I hope many of you will have the opportunity to join me in serving here at 1PC Lincoln someday.
                 One last word regarding the Canaanite woman’s story. I hope that we, as a community of faith, continue to remain open to the calling of the Risen One, trusting in the transformative ministry of which we are a part, and that we might also listen to those in need when they describe why the world ought to be transformed. If you want to read a sermon that addresses some of the problematic interpretations of it over the years, click here for Diana Butler Bass’s Sunday Musings.
                  During my sermon, I mentioned the work by Canadian psychologist Michael Rousell on the power of surprise. I’m including the TED Talk he gave in 2019 about three decades of work and the insights he’s gained into how surprises are opportunities for change.

                  Finally, I have begun a new practice inspired by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver, and intrigued by Mark Ragland, who writes at The Pocket Notebook on Substack. I started keeping a pocket notebook to help me notice and record surprising moments. I’ve been doing this for three weeks, and my pages are filled with lines from poems or essays, feathers found on walks, sketches, doodles, and anything else that helps me pay attention to life's beauty. Unlike my journal practice, a pocket notebook doesn’t require much time or energy. Simply jot, doodle, or tape the things that stand out to you and put them in your pocket notebook. If I’m honest, the reason why I began this practice was to be more present to the life in front of me, and not the one being fed to me by the algorithms on my phone. Here’s a link to an intro on keeping a pocket notebook from Mark Ragland.

No comments:

Post a Comment