Last week, I shared some thoughts on ritual. Thanks to everyone who read it, and I’m eager to hear your opinions on the podcast. I’d also love to learn more about your personal rituals and how you include them in your daily routine.
I thought it would be helpful to further explore how rituals are a part of our collective life as a congregation. While most of us know why we do what we do in worship, I am always appreciative when I can get a refresher on practices I take for granted. Or, in the context of being your pastor, why I do and say some things I say and do.
For example, do you know why we begin the service with the procession of the light? Bringing in the light symbolizes recognizing God's presence in our sanctuary at that moment by lighting the three candles on the chancel. Do we need a light procession? Not necessarily. Many denominations, including some Presbyterian churches, don't practice it. However, as mentioned in last week’s post, rituals facilitate transformation and mark transitions, which is why they are part of our Sunday service at 1PC. Throughout human history, the flames of fires and the lighted wicks of candles have been used to acknowledge, in a very real way, the presence of the Divine in our midst.
Another reason rituals hold power is their participatory nature. While a Deacon often leads the procession with the light of Christ, anyone can assume this role. As Presbyterians, we uphold ‘the priesthood of all believers,’ meaning everyone has a part in creating God’s beloved community. It is the intention and attention of those gathered, whether one or many, that consecrate a place and a moment, like what Jacob did after his ladder dream.
Know what I wish would happen on Sundays? While the role of the acolyte has been assigned to the Deacons, it would thrill me to have someone from the congregation serve in that role. It would be especially thrilling if someone different served each week. Remember, rituals are powerful because they invite participation from all God’s people, not just the clergy. As Presbyterians, we believe that all people have the capacity to offer wisdom, love, and connection and to find and create meaning in the ordinary stuff of life and in Lord’s Day worship.
My favorite ritual is beginning with the opening sentences. I appreciate a well-crafted opening because it marks the shift from arriving to being present. Typically, Sunday opening sentences draw inspiration from that day’s readings. If you’ve attended a Kirk Night, you know I also like to begin on Wednesday with a greeting related to the liturgical Sunday just observed. Some may find my emphasis on starting each gathering with an opening sentence or liturgical greeting annoying, but I do it to remind us and invite us into our assembly as God’s people. Whether it's a Ministry Team meeting, a fellowship event, or Sunday worship, offering an opening sentence helps us transition into our time together and sets the tone for encountering the Holy One who brings everything into existence.
Do you have a morning ritual that helps you transition from sleep to awareness? Something that grounds you in your body and prepares you for the day? Each day, we practice resurrection—at night, surrendering to God and the peace of Christ; in the morning, awakening to live anew with the Risen Christ. Perhaps tomorrow, you can create a simple ritual—like taking a breath of your coffee before drinking, or silently recalling ‘Remember your baptism and be thankful” as you fill your tea kettle. Even pausing briefly before planning your day can help us connect with ourselves and something greater—the love of God, which is as close as our breath.
I’ll see you on Sunday.
And maybe, just maybe, you’ll help us in our transition in time by bringing in the light of the Risen Christ!
**NOTE**
I know some want deeper content. So, here's a great podcast I listened to recently about faith, doctrine, and the gift of reorganizing our beliefs! It's a delightful and insightful conversation between Prentis Hemphill, the host of Becoming the People, and their guest, Kristian A. Smith, public theologian and creator. You can access the podcast by clicking this link! I think my favorite part of this podcast is Kristian's definition of sin.
No comments:
Post a Comment