Thursday, August 27, 2026

Through Stained Glass: Thursday Thoughts on a Friday Afternoon

               

Over the weekend, I spent time with my brother’s family at their campsite in Canton. By day, we were fishing the high waters from the recent rains; by night, we were laughing around the glow of a campfire. On Sunday morning, I was the first up and sat on the end of their dock, watching the morning unfold. It was peaceful until the Kingfishers started chatting, and suddenly the moment became holy. The ground, or the dock hovering above the glasslike water, became sacred.          

This Sunday’s Old Testament lectionary text was from Exodus 3. We know it well. It’s the moment when Moses encounters the Divine in the desert through a burning bush. The famous line is, “Come no closer! Remove the sandals from your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground!” It’s a moment of transformation for Moses [and the bush!], and one many of us resonate with, especially those of us who love a good sunrise, a beach photo, or the vibrant pastels this time of year created by corn sweat. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good nature photo [hashtag blessed; hashtag god is good; hashtag awesome]; however, the passage doesn’t end there, does it?              
Moses has more to do than just removing his sandals. In verse 7, we see that God listens to the cries of God’s people—actually, God notices their suffering and understands their pain.

               Did you get that? Way back in the Old Testament, God knows the people’s sufferings. God is intimately involved and aware of God’s people and their lives. What happens next? God acts. God intervenes in history [as this story tells it] and sends Moses to bring God’s people out of exile.

               Here’s what I’m getting at, friends. We need to admire and stand in awe of the creative energies of God that are embodied in the first incarnation – creation. AND we need to join God with our creativity and gifts to see that justice and peace flow through our streets like a mighty river. I love what my Hebrew professor, Dr. Tyler Mayfield, says about this when he writes:

What happens in the holy spaces of our lives should also have holy consequences in the world around us. Moses’ experience with God directly leads to action for and alongside God. Spiritual formation and working to bring about social justice cannot happen in vacuums – they naturally flow into and out of one another, fueling the fire and fanning the flame of the Spirit’s work and witness in our world.

               Dr. Mayfield goes on to reflect that our burning-bush moments invite us to look away, then look back, and to allow those moments to transform us into action. Yup, it’s contemplation and action! Everyone we meet – no matter how they identify – or whatever stereotype we cast upon them – is a beloved child of God who contains the Divinity’s spark. All of us are as beautiful as that sunrise you admire in Florida. So let us see that all of God’s beloved, good, holy creation is cared for, and that we join God in creating a place where not only is everyone welcomed, but we all know in the depths of our being that we, along with everything, belong!

******

     I don't know about you, but this week has been heavy, largely because the queen of country music and a truly great human being, Dolly Parton, died. What isn't there to admire about the cultural icon known not only for her music but also for her philanthropy, her allyship with the LGBTQ+ community, and her status as one of the best teachers on what it means to live as your true self? An Episcopal priest I follow on Substack, and self-proclaimed biggest Dolly fan, Rev. Lizzie, wrote a beautiful reflection on Dolly's faith and how it shaped her music. You can find it by clicking here.

******
Wednesday, August 26, was [Inter]National Dog Day. So, here's a photo of Tecumseh and Brigid.

******

This week, I read an article from the Presbyterian Outlook that I found both insightful and compelling. The article’s title is also its topic: Why College Students are Leaving Church – But Not Faith. You can access it by clicking here. As your pastor, I value authenticity– not unlike what Dolly preached and practiced. An element of this is the ability to ask questions and be comfortable with the unknown. One statement in this article that stuck with me was from a student about membership. They said, “The only benefit of membership is that you’re asked to give money. I don’t have any.” I’m curious: what is the benefit of membership? The second person to respond will get a cup of coffee on me! [Meaning, I’ll take you out for coffee while we discuss!]




 


No comments:

Post a Comment