Monday, November 7, 2016

Through Stained Glass: A Mid-Week Reflection-Prayerful Spaces

Tomorrow has been talked about for months over a year now.

Tomorrow has been discussed and dissected in more ways than those poor frogs in the high school biology class.

Tomorrow is an important day for our country.

Tomorrow is Election Day.

Tomorrow will be interesting for some.

Tomorrow will probably be on the minds of most of us.

Less than 4 hours from now tomorrow will be today.

In times like these, when there are competing voices for my attention, I do my best to stay center within myself. By this I mean:  I do my best to slow life down and listen for that still small voice within that reminds me of my belovedness as a child of God.

Tonight as I find myself restless (less so because of the election and more so because my phone has been misplaced) I find comfort in these words from Jesus:

25 ‘Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27And can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your span of life? 28And why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin, 29yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not clothed like one of these. 30But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31Therefore do not worry, saying, “What will we eat?” or “What will we drink?” or “What will we wear?” 33But strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

34 ‘So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today’s trouble is enough for today.

Hmmthat last line.

It gets me every time.

I want to extend an invitation to you.

Tomorrow from 7:30 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. the church will be open, specifically the chapel and sanctuary, for you to come and pray. Or if you want to simply get away from your smartphone or T.V. or that obnoxious neighbor who still has their Cubs ‘W’ flag flying, know you are welcome to come and do so.

You will not be bothered in anyway. There will be no formal service.

Only the quiet of the chapel, the flicker of candle flame, and the prayers of the Spirit who prays on our behalf when know not what to pray.

Our church is your church—a place where you can come and find rest in Christ.

I echo these words shared by Father James Martin:

"God is the God of the living." Which means you can encounter God in not only in your prayer, but in your daily life. Seek the Lord.

May the peace of the Lord Christ go with you : wherever Christ may send you; may Christ guide you through the wilderness : protect you through the storm; may Christ bring you home rejoicing : at the wonders Christ has shown you; may Christ bring you home rejoicing : once again into our doors.

Tomorrow—will be okay.

But for tonight, rest assured that even now God is as close as your next breath

No comments:

Post a Comment