Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Through Stained Glass: Advent Word a Day--Winnowing

Cathy M shared this photo for today's word, winnowing.
Cathy took the photo in the Audobon Bird Sanctuary on
Dauphin Island -- the last North American stopover for 
migrating birds. It is one of her favorite places! 

Winnowing

Sometimes I have to start with the basics. Take, for instance, the word winnowing. I have house plants and tend to a small patch of earth in the summer. Neither requires winnowing. Well, not that I know of, at least.


Here's the definition of this transitive verb. [These verbs need to transfer their action to something or someone -- an object.] 

  1. To remove [something, such as chaff] by a current of air
  2. To get rid of [something undesirable or unwanted]
    1. Remove
    2. Often used with out: "winnow out certain inaccuracies." 
  3. Separate, sift

Once I get the basics down, I begin to play with the word. 


Today I took two photos. Both of which are plants in my backyard. The first is Milkweed. [Master Gardeners, forgive me for not correctly identifying this type of Milkweed...if it is even Milkweed! I trust someone will help me identify this companion who takes up residence in my backyard.] I suppose to winnow Milkweed would be to crack open the pod and separate the seeds from the fluff. A quick Google search will take you to a Facebook page where the instructions for winnowing the Milkweed include a tissue box. Put the seed and fluff in the box, shake it, and the wind will blow away the fluff! [I love that Grammarly is telling me to use a different word for fluff, but I won't because I love it!]


The seed remains, which you can now store in a cool, dark, and dry place where the conditions are relatively stable. 


Because I love to learn, I wanted to get a better understanding of winnowing. So I watched this clip I found on Youtube. In this video, the gardener uses the wind to separate the chaff from the seed. [Also, I love that Grammarly is annoyed by my use of 'chaff' and insists I change it to 'trash.']


I've watched enough spelling bee competitions to know that it is essential to understand how words are used in a sentence. I found this reflection from Jesuit Father John F. Kavanaugh helpful and timely. Fr. Kavanaugh is reflecting on John the Baptist's words in Matthew 3 regarding Jesus coming to baptize with the Holy Spirit and fire, with a winnowing fork in hand. Fr. Kavanaugh admits he misread this verse for many years, assuming it was about those who are lost and those who are saved. He writes, "But this is clearly a misreading of the Baptist's words. The fire is part of the baptism in Jesus and his spirit. Fire is not the fate of the lost but the refining of the blessed. We all have our chaff, our dross, our waste. We all have our winnowing. And it is the fire of Christ that will burn it away. The burdens we carry do not make us unfit for Advent's message. They qualify us as prime candidates."


Then I try to run with the word and include it in a reflection. 


Advent is when we remove those parts of our lives that prevent us from receiving the Christ. What can we let go of during the remainder of this Advent season to receive the good news that God is With Us? What can the Spirit blow away in our ministries so we can embody the love of God in our church and community? What seed wants to come forth in our hearts that our hands can tend to so it can flourish? 


Yet, I think about the importance of the casings. The shell of the seed is vital for the nourishment of the grain. Is Advent inviting you to give thanks for a cover and to let it go so the vulnerable parts of you may gift the world with their beauty? 


All of this winnowing talk has me hopeful for the new life to come! 


 

I tried to get the name of these friends in my garden,
but my app couldn't come up with one. This growth
is from the birdseed that my Bird friends scatter on the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment