Thursday, December 1, 2022

Through Stained Glass: Advent Word a Day--Make


 Make


"And may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, just as we abound in love for you." 1 Thessalonians 3.12


Nothing makes my heart happier than spending the lunch hour with these lovely ladies. 


We laughed, cried, and gave thanks for the opportunity to gather together for the first time since 2019 to make memories!


It's funny how this all came about, really. I told one of our dearest members that I miss meeting with this group and that we should try to get together for a Christmas lunch. This was on a Sunday; she had made it happen by Tuesday. Friends were contacted, a menu was planned, and the rest is history. 


[Want to make things happen in a group? Just have one of your three 100+-year-old members say we are going to do something, and it'll get done!]


I have no other words. Today, my heart rejoices -- a significant theme in our Advent journey. We will remember that the angels proclaimed "glad tidings of great joy" to the shepherds (Luke 2:10). We will sing of these "tidings of comfort and joy" and the "joy to the world" that comes with Christ's arrival. 


So much joy today. Love was abundant. Both my joy and love increased because of our time together. It made me think about the ways we are creating space for the arrival of God's love in our life. When we show up for one another -- and I'll let you determine what that means -- we are the Christ to one another. When we love each other -- when we set aside petty differences, lean into our covenant promises, and commit to community -- we are the Advent of God's love. 


Today -- that love -- well, I encountered the incarnation around these tables. Today I arrived at the Reign of God through these ladies and the love they have for me, each other, and all of us! 




No comments:

Post a Comment