Monday, August 15, 2022

Through Stained Glass: Web of Interconnectedness

"The way of the feminine is the way of connecting. And the path of the mystic leads from the illusion of separation to the reality of divine union, manifested as interdependence with all that is." ~Mirabai Starr


Over the weekend, our church youth gathered for a wilderness wandering at Kickapoo Park. For an hour, we slowly strolled the trails and observed the critters in the creek. One of my favorite moments was watching a couple of the youth observing a spiderweb that caught their eye as the sun glistened off the delicate webs. It was enjoyable to watch them explore where the web begins and then listen to them tell stories about why or why not they like spiders. Their curiosity is contagious!

           It was my job – well, Tecumseh’s self-appointed job – to be first on the paths. Of course, this meant I was the one who got to walk through the webs before the others. It is a risky job, but someone must do it. And I don’t mind it so much because looking for them makes me slow down. Honestly, I want to honor the spiders and their work creating these impermanent labyrinth-like creations. I know they can rebuild them quickly, but I still want to be mindful of them. After all, I don’t appreciate it when people come into my house and break things.

           I kept returning to God’s love as I walked through the webs. Specifically, how God’s love – mercy – grace – whatever theological word you want to use – clings to us in the same way. Like the spider webs that got in my hair that I kept finding throughout the morning, so does God’s love continue to show up in my life. Yes, I see God’s love in a sunset – I hear it in the music of a Scarlet Tanager – I smell it in the flowers – I taste it in the water – but I feel it when I’m with others. If I am honest, I value our time together outside of Sunday mornings.

           Our worship services are transformative. The music Chet and David play and the songs the choir sing are inspiring. Occasionally the preacher preaches a decent sermon, too. But, and maybe this is selfish, I don’t get to talk with all of you as much as I’d like. And I mean more than just the “Hey, have a good week!” exchanges. I want to know what’s saving you these days and breaking your heart. I want to bear witness to your story, and you to bear witness to mine. Whenever we are together, I walk away full of joy and love – and it clings to me until the next time.

           It is fun to watch our youth become a community. Saturday, as I observed them and participated in their shenanigans, I recognized in a profound way that our lives are interpenetrated with the lives of all sentient beings and that the One we love shines from every nexus in that web of interbeing.[1] Yup, even spiders!


  [1] This line is inspired by Mirabai Starr’s book “Wild Mercy: Living the Fierce and Tender Wisdom of the Women Mystics.”




No comments:

Post a Comment