Monday, August 1, 2022

Through Stained Glass: August's Metronome

 


Joy is God in the marrow of our bones. ~Eugenia Price


Welcome to August! And how about this new month's arrival? Lighting, thunder, and some much-needed rain woke me up this morning. The dogs and I took advantage of the cooler temperature, too, as we walked our usual daily mile, and I ran my Monday 3 miles. I watch the sunflowers dance in the breeze as the clouds part and the heat returns. It'll be hot again before you know it. Stay hydrated, friends.

           August 1 also brought the return of the marching band. The conductor's voice echoes across the neighborhood, encouraging and instructing the students on their marching orders. I don't know much about marching band, but by the sound of things, it's obvious that today is the first day! The instrument's return marks that slow transition back to school – when Pulaski Street becomes a freeway and Friday nights will be spent under those football/soccer/marching band/track stadium lights. On our walks, the dogs and I see the football team scrimmaging, the dance team getting in formation, and now the band falling in line to the instructions of "left, left, left, right, left!" Oh, and the metronome will be a constant in the mornings for the weeks to come.

           As I listen to the voice that's got Tecumseh a little confused looking to the heavens, I wonder about the rhythms I'm keeping. What is helping me find the flow these days? One of my goals this month is to create three to four weekly posts. Sometimes they will be reflections like this one, and other times it'll be a picture or a song that is currently giving me life. What inspired this was Sunday's Gospel reading. Within the parable of the rich fool, I heard an invitation to slow down and to pay attention to the moment. When we resist the demands of materialism, the good news from yesterday is easy to receive:  that all that we are and all we have belongs to God, and our future is secure beyond all measure.

           The band is still marching as the instructor barks their orders. The Sparrows and Cow Birds have assembled on the telephone wire, teaching me about perspective. The Rose of Sharon and the Sunflowers have found their beat to sway to. In the days to come, find your own rhythm, and go at a pace that returns you to your belovedness. Remember, you belong to Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment