Monday, December 12, 2022

Through Stained Glass: Advent Word a Day--Wilderness

Wilderness

I want to geek out about this word. And I want to share all the photos from the wild places I visited in 2022. 


But, friends, I'm tired. 


Instead, you'll get a couple of photos. The first is a photo shared today on the Wild Church Network on the Facebook. It is a poem about our intricate connection to the natural world. Also, you want a good intro into the rewilding of your faith? Check out the book "Church of the Wild." This book taught me that the Hebrew word for wilderness, ba-midbar, also means "the organ which speaks." The wilderness is the place where the Divine speaks to us.


I want to tell you how John Muir hated the word 'hike.' And I want to tell you about my week spent with Presbyterian professor Belden C. Lane at Ghost Ranch the lessons he taught me about the fierce landscapes of our lives. And I want to share with you the wisdom of Mirabai Starr and the "Wild Mercy of God.


But instead, I'll leave you this cute photo of an opossum the dogs and I encountered in the 'wilderness' of Lincoln. And this prayer from Catherine of Siena, "Consecrated."


"All has been consecrated.

The creatures in the forest know this,


the earth does, the seas do, the clouds know

as does the heart full of love. 


Strange a priest would rob us of this

knowledge


and then empower himself

with the ability


to make holy what

already was." 

No comments:

Post a Comment