Monday, November 28, 2022

Through Stained Glass: Advent Word a Day: Together

 

Our students collaborated together to create their tree
for the City of Lincoln's Tree festival. Read below about
another opportunity for us to come together! 

Together. 


Things are better when we do them together.


Such a cliché statement – but goodness, isn't it true?


Early in my professional career, I learned that I can't do all the things alone. I can, but no one benefits from an exhausted pastor burning the candle at both ends. Collaboration is essential to me and to ministry. We need each other because we all have gifts to share with the world.


I wonder, though – how do we know we have a gift? Or what those gifts might be?


The easiest way to discover our gifts begins by listening – to our lives and to the lives of others. [Thanks, Frederick Buechner, for that great line.]


When we engage in this type of listening – alone and together – we will feel the call of God tugging on our hearts. We share this tugging – or, since it is Advent – this longing with one another, and together, we discern what God is revealing in our lives. From there, we open our hands to the Trinity's generative spirit and begin nurturing our hope for our lives.


Together.


One of the best parts of my gig as a pastor is connecting people with each other. It gladdens my heart to see strangers become friends and friends become family. I love it when we work together and create opportunities for community.


Like, what happened this last week.


It is time for our annual Christmas caroling event. Our Director of Music and Arts reached out to me and asked if Sunday, December 18, right after worship, would be a good time to go caroling. As I was preparing to respond to him, Becca Brant reached out to me and shared her plan to have an open house at her house on December 18 from 12:30 until 3:00 pm. Immediately the idea came to mind that I need to get David and Becca together so they can work together in a way that combines caroling and an open house. 


Here's what our two friends came up with:


On Sunday, December 18, at 11:00 am, we will gather in the CE Building for caroling until 12'ish. Then we will have a little break until 12:30 pm when the Brants open their house up for us to share in the Advent & Christmas spirit together until 3:00 pm. 

Note: the open house is for ALL church members, not just the carolers! The Brant's address can be found in the weekly emails and church bulletin


I am grateful for David's gift of music.

I am grateful for the Brants' gift of hospitality.

I am grateful that we, as a church family, get to experience them together on Sunday, December 18.


No comments:

Post a Comment