Monday, March 14, 2022

Through Stained Glass: Lent Word a Day - Present

Present.

Both


To God in the world.


And


To God in me.


Both


In a particular place.


And


Occurring now.


Confession from a pastor:


These last two weeks have been a blur to me. Not only because of the busy schedule that has crept back into my life, but also the constant bombardment of news updates and navigating the fear, uncertainty, and confusion that accompanies them. The weather became cold again, and I didn’t have the motivation to run. Also, it is hard to run on Thursdays here in the Midwest during the late winter weeks. I found myself running from one meeting to the next and then writing for school and worship and … and … and …


Then I read these lines from Father Richard Rohr:

The true purpose of mature religion is to lead you to ever new experiences of your True Self. If religion does not do this, it is junk religion. Every sacrament, every Bible story, every church service, every sermon, every hymn, every bit of priesthood, ministry or liturgy is for one purpose: to allow you to experience your True Self – who you are in God and who God is in you – and to live a generous life from that Infinite Source.


It never ceases to amaze me how quickly I can lose sight of my True Self. Usually, it happens not because of harmful practices but because life happens. As the schedule fills up and the noise of life gets louder, it is easy to neglect to nurture my own nefesh – wellbeing [mindbodyspirit]. I believe the same can happen with institutions and their True Selves. Sometimes we can get so caught up in conversations around marketing and budgeting and building and programming and party planning [none of which are harmful or destructive or whatever label you want to use] that we forget to be present to the movement of Love in our midst.


Today’s word is present. It invites me to be present to my True Self. I was present to my body this morning by running three miles. The word reminds me to evaluate my practices often to see that I am engaging them not for their sake but to draw closer to the Holy. Later today, after I write my LINK article, the liturgy, and a little for my paper, I’ll take some time and be present to the Infinite Source as I ponder these words from today’s psalm:


Psalm 119.73

“Your hands have made and fashioned me;

          give me understanding that I may learn your commandments.”


Lent is the season we nurture our lives with whatever practices we give up or take on. It is okay to tend to your own self. Jesus did it often by running to the hills to pray and be in conversation with the Holy. 


I need to do better at being present to my True Self. To tend to the garden of my life. Perhaps today, after I take the dogs to the vet, we will sit on our patio in the sunshine, paying attention to the viriditas [yup, made up a word] occurring all around me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment