Thursday, May 14, 2020

Through Stained Glass: 67 Days

March 15th is when we as a church decided to switch from in-person gathering to online gathering as a way to do our part in flattening the curve of COVID-19.

It has been over two months since we were together in person.

It has also been over two months since we have been together in new ways.

Many of us are adapting smoothly to it.

Many of us are starting to get anxious.

All of us are starting to feel the effects of sheltering-in-place.

While I believe the decision to remain together while being separate is the most faithful way we can love God, neighbor, and ourselves, I also believe it is important to name all that we are feeling.

Indifferent.
Exhausted.
Frustrated.
Hopeful.

Whatever your feeling, it is okay. In whatever your feeling, remember that others are experiencing all of this differently.

And that is okay, too.

Remember the different ways Jesus’s friends interpreted the news about the resurrection. It didn’t come easy. All of them came to believe at different times. And in different places. No matter where those places were, Christ came to them with gentleness, compassion, and love.

Gentleness.
Compassion.
Love.

I need these gifts today.

For some reason, this week has me feeling tired. At night as I try to fall asleep, I wonder if I could have done more: called more people, wrote more words, prayed more prayers.

Many of you know that feeling, too.

Today, I’m trying to live into the words I often speak to you all.

Sometimes, it’s okay to just be.
Sometimes, it’s okay to let the Spirit pray on our behalf.
Sometimes, it’s okay to binge watch New Girl.
Sometimes, it’s okay to __________________.

It has been a while since we last worshipped in the light streaming through our beautiful stained-glass windows.

67 days to be exact [if my math is right and if you read this today [May 14].

Trust me, friends, the building misses you. But the church is doing ministry—even when we are separate from each other. The Holy Spirit might be working overtime, but this is exactly what She is called to do.

Tonight, I’ll rest in that good news and the assurance that the love of the Triune God overflows into our lives and is bringing about something new and beautiful.

Today, with a tired and tender spirit, this video continues to give me rest and hope.

May it’s simple message bring you some peace to knowing that someday, we’ll be back together in our sanctuary, singing about God's love and dream for us.

The very thing that keeps us star gazing and hoping...


No comments:

Post a Comment