Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Through Stained Windows: A Mid-Week Reflection-Seuss

The school year is upon us. Kids are finding their way back into a rhythm and teachers are putting less and less sugar and cream in their coffee. Learning is unfolding all around the community!

            When I was a child, I enjoyed school but I didn’t really look forward to the learning part. I very much so appreciated the playground and playing with my friends more than the multiplication tables and spelling tests I was forced to do.

            As an adult now, I miss learning. But lucky for me, learning doesn’t only occur in the classroom. No, learning happens EVERYWHERE! Especially in books! That is why I love this quote from the philosopher Dr. Seuss:  “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”

With that said, here are the current 10 books I’m reading. Yea, you read that correctly, I said 10.

Here they are in no particular order:

1.    Hildegard of Bingen:  Selected Writings by Hildegard of Bingen
2.    We Were Baptized Too by Marilyn Bennett Alexander and James Preston
3.    The Soul of Hip Hop:  Rims, Timbs and a Cultural Theology by Daniel White Hodge
4.    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
5.    The Book of Forgiving by Desmond Tutu and Mpho Tutu
6.    Rising Strong:  The Reckoning, The Rumble, The Revolution by Brene Brown
7.    Rescuing the Gosepl from the Cowboys:  A Native American Expression of the Jesus Way by Richard Twiss
8.    Red Bird poems by Mary Oliver
9.    This Day:  Collected & New Sabbath Poems by Wendell Berry
10.How To Brew:  Everything You Need to Know to Brew Beer Right the First Time by John J. Palmer (hey, even us pastors need a hobby)

So there you have it. Just a few books that will help grow in knowledge. If you are interested in any of these books, let me know and I will be happy to get a copy for you!

What about you? What are you reading this fall that will fill you with great wisdom and knowledge?

One last bit, remember that we are always learning. Life is always teaching us something new. You don’t need a book to learn or a library to find the resources to be educated. You can learn much from a child playing, from a leaf changing colors, and from the silence on a cool fall evening. The world is our classroom. Do not be afraid to put yourself in front of something beautiful. You might just learn something from it!

Have a great Tuesday friends!

Peace,


A

No comments:

Post a Comment